Kerala IT Mission
Kerala State Information Technology Infrastructure Limited (KSITIL) is the apex company formed under this Government of Kerala IT Policy for pioneering the development of IT/ITES Special Economic Zones (SEZs), IT Townships and IT Parks in the state of Kerala. It is a public limited company incorporated under the Companies Act, 1956, promoted by the Government of Kerala vide G.O (MS) No.33/07/ITD dated 12-11-2007, with its registered office at Park Centre, Technopark Campus, Karyavattom, Trivandrum.
The State Government envisages expansion of the IT industry in the state in a manner that benefits all districts in the state. Unlike other states, the developments in the IT sector will not be confined to one or two cities in Kerala. Instead, a hub and spoke model has been planned wherein Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode will act as hubs and the remaining districts will act as its spokes. KSITIL will be supported by Technopark, Infopark and Cyberpark at each hub for the development of the districts falling under each hub.
There is a surge in demand for IT/ITES Sector specific Special Economic Zones in India owing to the increasing demand from global IT clients and likely extinction of the STPI sunset clause for Income Tax exemption currently enjoyed by the export oriented IT/ITES units. KSITIL has therefore been mandated by the Government of Kerala to be the vehicle for all IT infrastructure developments in the state in a Private Public Participation (PPP) model. KSITIL enjoys enormous advantages including preferential allocation of land for projects by Government and obtaining necessary clearances from Government.
Presently, KSITIL has a large number of ongoing IT SEZ and IT Park projects in hand and a land bank of about 1000 acres is already in possession by the Company for about 10 IT/ITES industrial Parks/ township projects. Seven of them have already obtained SEZ approval.
The capital commitment for the aforesaid projects is estimated at Rs.2500 crores. 51% of the share capital will be funded by the state Government and the remaining 49% of KSITIL equity is proposed to be raised from interested individuals investors and institutional investors with suitable premium.
The ongoing IT Park projects in the state by KSITIL are listed below:
- Technopark Phase 3 in Thiruvananthapuram covering an area of 92 acres, near existing Technopark campus is notified as a sector specific Special Economic Zone by the Ministry of Commerce. The SEZ built up space is expected to be ready by 2011.
- Technocity at Trivandrum will be the country’s largest IT Park coming up in 450 acres, in the state capital near Pallipuram, 5 Kms north from the main Technopark campus on NH 47 to Kollam. This development has been conceptualized as an integrated IT township, encompassing IT/ITES infrastructure, residential apartments, shopping malls, hospitals, hotels, educational institutions, and other support facilities. In addition to IT, other focus areas will be biotechnology, nanotechnology, high-end manufacturing and R&D. SEZ built up space is expected to be ready by 2011.
- Technopark, Kollam is located in 44.46 acres of prime land at Kundra near the scenic Ashtamudi Lake,Kollam, for which Special Economic Zone status has been granted by Ministry of Commerce, Government of India. Basic infrastructure- power, water, roads, telecom, datacom, water treatment plant will be ready by 2010.
- Infopark, Ambalapuzha is located in 100 acres of land in Gandhi Smrithivanam in Purakkad Village, Ambalapuzha Taluk of Alappuzha District. This park will be the first water theme IT Park in the country. The first IT building of approximately 1 lakh square feet will be ready by April,2011. Approximately 8000 IT Professionals will get jobs when the park is fully functional by the end of 2012.
- Infopark, Cherthala, located in Pallipuram village, Cherthala taluk of Alappuzha District has a total area of 66 acres, of which 60 acres has been notified as a sector specific Special Economic Zone by the Ministry of Commerce. The first 100000sq. ft structure is expected to be ready for allotment by December 2011
- Infopark, Koratty is in 30 acres of land, around 45 KM from Kochi in Thrissur District. The first set of IT Buildings of approximately 40,000 sq ft area with plug and play facilities is ready and companies have started setting-up operations at Thrissur. Phase-II additional 30,000 sq ft of space will be ready for allotment by 2010.
- Infopark Phase 2 will come up in Kunnathunad and Puthencruz villages of Kunnathunad Taluk of Ernakulam District in 160 acres. The park will be designed as an eco friendly green park and the park will have a large business convention centre, the first of its kind in Kochi. Infrastructure development will be undertaken in a phased manner and will be completed by Sep 2011. Construction of the BPO complex will commence in 2010-11 financial year. On full completion total employment expected to be generated in this new campus is 50,000.
- Cyberpark, Kozhikode(Calicut) will be built in an area of 43 acres in Nellikkode and Pantheeran kavu villages of Kozhikode Taluk, near Medical College at Chevayur with SEZ status.
- Cyberpark, Kannur covering 30 acres of land near Eramom village,Taliparamba Taluk of Kannur district is already under possession. Master plan preparation wil be initiated soon.
- Cyberpark, Kasargode will be in a 100 acre plot near Cheemeni village, Hosdurg Taluk of Kasargod district.
Each of these parks is less than an hour’s drive from the airports and connected by the National Highway.
The development of these projects shall be in in 3 main phases. First, will be the acquisition of land at ideal locations for setting up IT/ITES SEZs, IT parks or IT townships.
Secondly, land parcels will be demarcated for development after consultation with experts in the field.
The next stage, would involve getting necessary statutory clearances and approvals from State Government and Central Government, including SEZ notifications.
KSITIL will arrange for creating basic infrastructure including road access, water, electricity and sewage for each project. KSITIL will then allot land to an IT developer / IT company for development of IT parks/SEZs/townships.
The total investment in these IT Parks is planned to exceed Rs 10,000 crore after completion.
Know more about Kerala State IT Organisations